Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bhaveen Sheth-DOTSIM- So why are you not yet married ???

DOTSIM stands for the diary of the Single Indian Male:

Today i type down my feelings, thoughts and statements that come in my mind when i am asked this single disparaging question  " So Why you are not yet married"?????

Aughhhh, the feeling of disgust that i get??? I just ask myself that why can't people in my country , INDIA learn to mind their own businesses??? But no,  because every Indian Citizen has an unspoken birthright to intrude onto the privacy of others!!!!!

Okay, i am 30 years old, so what?? It does not make me old!!!! I happen to be an Orphan, having lost my parents at a younger age. My late teenage years and the entire decade of 20's went in struggling and working hard to reach  a good position in my career.

Do you know sir/madam know , what does it mean to be an Orphan in this country?? Do you know how difficult is it to be an orphan in the upwardly mobile Indian society???

No, and how can you know that, you have had your parents, your extended relatives  perform all the matrimonial ceremonies for you, right from finding the right mate to arranging the marriage.


And I !!!! Whom do i have???? No one , but just my sister who takes a strong stand for me, that's all.

Years back someone had advised me that i should register my profile on some popular online matrimonial sites. I followed the suit and well, what did i find, it was just an extension of the pathetic wretched double standard Indian society seen online.

Everyone wanted guys belonging to same caste, sub caste, gothra, religion, earning a handsome salary, and last but not the least the GUY SHOULD BE FROM A DECENT FAMILY!!!!!

Decent family!!!! That's all what people want, decent family. Somewhere down the line i had forgotten that in India marriage is about meeting and mating  of 2 families and not about 2 individuals. It is a different thing that after marriage these very 2 individuals go and live together ever after.

The very fact that I had no family made me an outcast from the start. I became and an still am the last choice of people. No normal person wants to associate with me. At my workplace, people like and adore me, maybe it is because of my sense of humor, my superiors and peers respect me for my knowledge, dedication, hard work and intellect. I  have a charismatic personality, but all the said things does not  make me competent enough to get married.

I have seen this society, this pathetic Indian Society from close quarters, the most pathetic people get married, murderers, criminals, rapists, guys who have severe criminal charges pending against them in the court of law. Under qualified men with low IQ, unhygienic men and god knows which rotten men the society has created get married. And why???? All of them belong to a DECENT INDIAN FAMILY.

I only have my sister to take care of me and she speaks on behalf of me.And  In spite of that, she has to justify her relation with me. She has to go through a routine interrogation, why, what , how and when are the questions asked to her. Even i am not spared of these questions either.

And if there is anything remaining, then it is that i have become the last option of the dejected and the rejected, the divorcees, the double divorcees, the morbidly obese , the physically and mentally handicapped, the ones having skin disease. They or maybe their parents  think that my orphan status makes me a beggar with no choices. I have become, in what i would describe best in the English terminology as, the Hobson's choice or the Devils alternative for the above mentioned category. The divorcees come with their own emotional baggage, the 30 plus single frustrated ones just have too many expectations. A woman who was 30 plus was interested in me but her mother said that as i happened to be an orphan and had lived alone for many years, there were fair chances that i would be mentally insane/abnormal. A double divorcee told me that because i didn't have a flat of my own , i would be considered as a potential fraud.

And then i look at the option of dating someone. But does it really work??? I work in the healthcare sector, and by large it is filled people who are traditional minded. The ones who have done their medical education have attitudes that is higher than the altitude of Mt Everest. Asking them out is like humiliating your own self.

And i happen to live in Gujarat errr Vibrant Gujarat. For all the good things that this state has to offer, the people happen to be narrow minded. The woman of this state will mostly intermingle with Gujarati men only, we the outsiders can go and take a hike. And once again they too are people who have deep family roots, so an orphan like me can have no stand in front of them.

I ask you ,my dear sir/madam, is it a crime to be an Orphan??? Is it a crime to be a homeless destitute???? Why then, every single day am i made to feel guilty of being an orphan, why then do you question  my single status??? You try to give me solace stating that someone will definitely like you and eventually marry you. Will you allow your sister/daughter to marry and Orphan??? No!!!!!! Because it is easy to preach but difficult to practice!!!!!!!

So my dear sir/madam, please leave me alone, if you can't make me a part of your society then kindly let me live in peace in my own solitude. You scare me with questions like "Who will take care of you"?? " "Who will be there for you when you fall sick??" " What will you do when you get old"???
And to this i reply, i have fallen sick, got admitted in hospitals ,all on my own, no one had been there for me in all those years and guess what , i  managed!!!!! No one was there to say good byes and no one there to receive me. And as far as old age is concerned, i don't care, maybe i won't live to see my old age. I will buy a gun and shoot myself or maybe i will buy an injection of sodium thiopental and inject myself and die peacefully. At the age of 60 i will say my final good bye.

But sir/madam, i will not beg , i will not plead, i will not appeal in front of anyone to get married, i am a self made man , not some desperate average Indian male who begs to get married or have a life partner. My self respect and dignity will remain high and will not be compromised.

So please leave me alone and stop asking me this one mindless question.

This is Bhaveen Sheth signing off for the day, will be back with some more.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Bhaveen,

    I came to your blog through search for Sweta Bhaskar.

    I read almost all your blog entries with interest. You are definitely an intellectual, independent and impressive man. I cannot claim to understand the pain of being orphaned, but you should be very proud of where you have reached in life.

    It is not my place, but If possible .. please be kind . Some of your blog posts are very demeaning and judgemental towards single older women, every person is fighting their own struggles in life. Kindness and compassion in the heart is the most imp. quality according to Dalai lama. You can't be judgemental of others and resent them for doing the same to you.

    In any case, your observations about our society and behaviour of people are undoubtedly very correct.

    If my comment has offended you in any way, I assure you that is not my intention.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Madam,

    First of all I must thank you for your positive comments. The Inheritance of loss of both my parents cannot be imagined by others.

    I am not being unkind to the Single older women, and it is does not apply to all generally. I am trying to reach out to the specific toxic women who tend to take their Single status hard on themselves. Agreed that they are fighting their own struggles but that does not mean the put their frustration on others for no reason.

    Madam, i have seen this society very closely and my future years will bring more interaction with the society. All i can say is that Indian Society is Hypocrite and has double standards of the First Order.

    Please Keep on reading my future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bhaveen,
    I can clearly see the frustration you have towards the society. Yes I do agree it is majorly hypocrite. But when someone ask you "why are you not yet married" why that you are irritated by that, may be they are concerned about your single status and want you to think of your marriage, think positive :-) !
    There are many women who are just in need of true love, support and security from a right guy and would not evaluate men by their background. dear friend...dont be frustrated and take hasty decisions that you wud be single forever and kill yourself one day..You seem to be a good guy but with immense reluctance towards things in society .You are potential interms of career ...just go ahead with your search and probably you may give wonderful life to a woman who is in need of love and security.
    dear friend....in one way you are lucky that inspite of you are orphan you are man but not a woman , so no treat from those dangerous men in this society in terms of security ! Just imagine the situation of many orphan women ...rather not just orphan but any other women who are killed for dowry etc...
    So keep your frustration aside....sleep at peace ...you will surely find a nice partner one day ....Live with Hope ....

    Good Luck to you ...

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ananymous,

    Frustration??? This is not frustration but words of pain that are resonating from my troubled soul on being dejected and marginalized in the Indian Society. People may show concern for me, but people hardly take any stand and help me.

    I understand that women require true love, support and security, but they learn all this only when they go through traumatic relations and bad marriages. Otherwise a lot of them live in some sort of fantasy.

    As a Marginalized person i express my feelings. However i have now come to accept my fate and that i will have to stay single. I may have been orphaned by destiny but have been neglected by the Society, that is why i choose to stay single. Why beg, i never begged for a job, my academic credentials and achievements made it possible to have good job offers. I am respected at my workplace.Why should i bow down and beg just to get married??? Is it because i have no parents??

    The society keeps scaring me on my single status, on who will take care of me when i get old and i say that i prefer death than a life of helplessness.

    Yes, i do have feelings, i get feelings of love towards women, but my very status and the fear of rejection limits me from approaching someone. Even if things do work out, it is a girls family that will treat me indifferently.

    I just hope and hope that i find someone who can understand me, to completely accept me and if that happens i will prove to be a loving and caring partner.

    I know that as a man i don't have to face the challenges and difficulties face by single orphaned women and i am thankful to god for the same.

    I live in hope because i believe that hope is a good thing may be they best of all things and like all good things, hope never dies.

    Regards,

    Bhaveen Sheth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Friend ...
    I very well understand your pain...I don't want to show pity on you....because you are not in need of it , you are just in need of love from right girl. thats why i said 'you are potential in terms of career and being a man you can give wonderful life to a woman who is in similar situation as that of yours'.why dont you think of it ! ..
    Heyy please don't consider me as some1 who unnecessarily peeped into your personal things and giving sugessions....I really want some unfortunate women to be offered love from a genuine person like you .
    Anyways good luck to you...May God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thank you for your concern , at least there are some people who do show some care towards orphans like us.

    I do think that i can give life to someone who are in similar situations, i have no qualms of marrying divorcees, widows or someone who has lost her parents provided that persons understands me and gets along with me.

    And i have this feeling that i will offer the unfortunate the care and affection she needs and will make her fortunate.

    Regards,

    Bhaveen Sheth

    ReplyDelete
  7. so i guessed it right!!! u r a gujarati!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Blog has touched me very deeply. It is so heart rending. U r a very strong person indeed. Take care and stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bhaveen, i'm very sorry if i've hurt u in any way.

    ReplyDelete